Falafel, using Chickpeas
- Publish date:04/05/2010
- Section:Cooking recipes
1 15 oz. can chickpeas
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 tablespoon minced garlic
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
1 teaspoon coriander
3/4 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
Oil for frying (canola or vegetable)
- Combine chickpeas, garlic, onion, coriander, cumin, salt and pepper (to taste) in medium bowl. Add baking powder.
- Mash chickpeas, ensuring to mix ingredients together. You can also combine ingredients in a food processor.
- The result should be a thick paste.
- Form the mixture into small balls, about the size of a ping pong ball. Slightly flatten.
- Fry in 2 inches of oil until golden brown (2-5 minutes).
Serve falafel by itself, or with hot pita bread with vegetables, hummus, or tahini sauce.