- Publish date:04/05/2010
- Section:Cooking recipes
1 kilogram lamb meat on the bone,
12 cups water,
2 garlic bulbs,
2 inch piece ginger cut into pieces,
3 small onion sliced,
1 teaspoon black pepper,
1 inch piece cinnamon stick,
1 teaspoon coriander seeds crushed,
5 large cardamom,
2 bay leaves,
2 teaspoon salt,
34 cup aniseed (saunf),
12 cup coriander seeds, ground,
3 12 cups rice, Pakistani basmati,
* For Masala:
1 cup ghee or cooking oil,
2 medium Onions,
8 whole green cardamoms,
Half tsp/1 tsp peppercorns,
1 inch piece cinnamon sticks,
3 large cardamom,ground green ,
1 tablespoon ginger paste.
1. Trim most of the fat from the meat. Wash thoroughly with cold water. Put water in a large heavy based saucepan and bring to boil. Tie aniseed and coriander seed in a piece of muslin to make spice bag.
2. Add meat, garlic, ginger, onions, cloves, black peppercorn, cinnamon, large cardamoms, bay leaves, salt and spice bag. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer gently for 40 to 45 minutes until the meat is tender.
3. Meanwhile, put the rice in a sieve and wash it thoroughly under running cold tap. Soak in plenty of water for 30 minutes. Drain in a sieve and let it stand for a minute or two.
4. Strain the meat and reserve the stock. Discard the spices bag, spices, onion and ginger from meat. Peel the garlic cloves to remove the garlic pulp and add this to meat.
5. To prepare masala heat ghee or oil in a large heavy skillet over medium heat. Add onion and fry to a golden color, stirring constantly. Reserve 3 tablespoons fried onions and to the rest add green cardamoms, black peppercorn, cinnamon, black cardamoms, cloves and bay leaves. Fry for a minute, add meat and ginger.
6. Stirring frequently, fry this over medium heat for 2-3 minutes then add yogurt and fry until meat turns to golden color and water from yogurt has evaporated, about 4-5 minutes.
7. Add rice to the meat and add just enough reserved stock to cover the rice by 1 inch. (Alternatively measure the stock; it should be 3 3/4 cups. Add water to make it to required quantity.) Cook rice over medium-low heat for about 5-8 minutes or until rice are 34 cooked, stirring occasionally. Add reserved fried onions. Cover with a tight fitting lid, reduce heat to very low and allow to cook for another 15-20 minutes until rice is tender.
8. Fluff up the rice with a fork, and then transfer it into to a heated serving dish.
Serve with Raita.
* Variations : Use chicken instead of lamb and reduce the time from 45 minutes to 20 minutes.
• Serves 6 people.
• Preparation Time: 30 minutes.
• Cooking Time: 30 minutes.